Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Sisters

I ALWAYS wanted a sister. I remember being very sad when my last brother was born and it was "not a girl", again. Then my parents got divorced and I was still the only girl, destined to be sister-less forever. Then in 1984, when I was too old to play barbies and house and all that stuff, which I now know all games girls play are code for fighting, my sisters were born. Sweet, tiny little identical twin GIRLS!!! I got to play house with them, just not like I had thought I would.

A couple years ago, twin A was in a horrible car accident. She was alone and hit a fence, and a tree. She was life flighted to the local trauma center. When the hospital called me they said she was fine, a little road rash and a superficial cut on her head. They neglected to mention that she was life flighted there, that her hip was maybe broken, that the superficial cut was gaping. They did not tell me that they had to cut her all ready broken car apart to get her out. And they did not tell me her heart had stopped and had to be re-started.

Tonight there was an accident near our house. We ended up trapped in a large group of people who hopped out of their cars to gawk and take pictures, appalled is the word you are looking for, of the car that had rolled and landed on its roof. At first sight it appeared to be a 1 car accident, the other car was intact other than a missing bumper. The police, 12 of them, shut down the road and brought in a helicopter to fly the person trapped in their car to the hospital. I wondered if, and hoped not, people had gawked and taken pictures of my precious sister. I had the physical pain of remembering how close we came to losing her.

I am so lucky. So blessed. My sister doesn't live close to me anymore, her twin does and I am so glad, she is a person that I am proud to say is my sister and my friend. I miss the half of my sisters that doesn't live close, but I am SO grateful that she is alive. There are no words to describe how I feel about these two girls, they have taught me so much and mean the world to me. I love them more than I can ever put into words.

1 comment:

Allyson said...

Hey, just wanted to say, "I was here!" Glad you updated your blog. Keep it up!