Wednesday, October 8, 2008

NPS


I went to NPS yesterday. For those of you unfamiliar with NPS, it is like a huge yard sale. Sometimes you can find fabulous deals and sometimes you find nothing and wonder why you spent the time and gas to go. I haven't been for a really long time but I wanted to find some cute Halloween decorations for cheap. As I typed that word, cheap, I realized that with only 10 or so posts I have expressed my cheapness more than once, that's a little embarrassing. As usual when I shop with The Dwarf Formerly Known as Grumpy and now, appearing for this one time only performance as Devil Spawn Dwarf, I want to leave the store and throw myself under the nearest moving wheels. Yesterday she wanted beef jerky. Her sister Dwarfs got beef jerky for their emergency kits for school and I told her we would get some for her the next day. NPS is not somewhere I would normally purchase beef jerky. She started making noise within the first 5 minutes. She needed beef jerky, I PROMISED beef jerky. She began her chant, "why can't you just listen to me? Why can't I have beef jerky? Why can't I have beef jerky...." You get the idea, imagine the chanting sounding something like a drug addict who has been deprived of their drug of choice for long enough that they are just in auto mode chanting their need over and over. This is what I took to the store, a beef jerky addict. I finally found beef jerky for her and handed it to her asking if she could possibly be quiet now, she said yes, but that was a lie.


The Lone Ranger began throwing his binky a few minutes after the jerky fiend was silenced. After the first couple times Devil Spawn picked up the binky she began taunting him with it. He began to scream. It all went downhill from there.


Before it got horrible I made a beeline for the checkout only to find out that the mechanical pencils I was hoping were way cheap were actually 99 cents for three pencils and a lead and eraser refill. I couldn't buy them, I had found ten packs for 25 cents not too long ago, 99 cents was about 89 cents too much for me. As I told the cashier no I didn't want them, I noticed the pencils had names on them, you know like Sandra or Karen, names no kids have these days, and then I saw them, the package with MY name on them!!!


Of course I bought them. My own pencils with my very own name on them. No little dwarfs to steal them. I walked to the car on a cloud. I buckled in Tiny, The Lone Ranger and Devil Spawn, fed them some candy, and drove home with my pencils, my very own pencils.


What a GREAT morning!!! What a beautiful day!!! I should take Grumpy, Tiny and Lone Ranger shopping again!!

1 comment:

amanda said...

Tag! Your it! No, don't call me, jut read my blog and see what you need to do.